Sunday, January 22, 2012

Three Loves....



Someone at work asked me to create a quilt as a wedding present for his and his wife's friends. He didn't have a design, but wanted to incorporate three themes. The finished quilt has progressed from my original design based on ideas I had after working with it. First a big shout out of thanks to Kim for her applique tutorial in November. This is my first applique project that did not use Steam a Seam and am pleased with how it turned out. I will give it to him tomorrow so I hope he and his wife as well as the recipients like it.

So, the themes he wanted and how I incorporated them:

Love of God - Tree of Life
Love of Country - Red, White and Blue, and Challenge Coins in the border
Love of Each other - Love birds

The couple got married on 11-11-11 - so I also added symbolism in the quilt for that - 11 blocks in each border (does not include the corner blocks), 11 hearts and 11 berries. I added bells with their names on one and the date 11-11-11 on the other. I put the meanings of all this on the label on the back along with a person message from my friend and his wife.

I learned a lot making this quilt/wall hanging. Finished size is 26x26.

Think I am going to try creating a little mini wall hanging now from my granddaughter's piano teacher. Any guesses what that is going to have on it *smile*

Hope you all are having a blessed weekend and staying warm.

Darlene

1 comment: