Sunday, March 4, 2012

Can you help - need ideas for a raffle quilt...

What a month February was. One of my friends that lost her mother almost lost her husband the following week - heart attack. They say it was the widow maker. Then a friend of mine went in for back surgery - they had previously tried to put in a cage but were unable to do it through the back so had to open him up. It was a true blessing in disguise. While the surgeon was in there, they discover colon cancer. Please get those colonoscopies.

They are now participating in a fund raiser this month to raise money. I offered to do a small quilt for them to raffle, but I am not sure what would be a good design that is appealing to a wide audience. Keep iin mind I have to have this done by March 28th so it can't be too big.

The two traveling stash boxes went out on Friday and they are set to be delivered on Monday. I am terribly sorry for the delay - had I known that last month was going to throw me so many curve balls I would not have entered the giveaway.

EDITED: Here is what I added to the boxes: 3- 1 yd cuts, 3 fat quarters and a Sherbet Pips charm pack. I had purchased 4 of these charm packs for quilt for granddaughter, and then changed my mind and made the "Heart" motif instead.




Blessings,
Darlene

10 comments:

  1. Hey Darlene, I'm not a quilter, so this is just my thought... maybe a simple tree of life design. It could have a few blue birds of happiness in the branches and whatever else would be joyful looking. Miss you Darlene. It's time for another lunch time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie - I love this idea. I think you are on to something. Miss you too - did you know that Buttermilk and Olde Lace closed a couple of weeks ago?

      Delete
  2. I think it depends a lot on the "audience". For example if it is going to be a church based function I would probably do a wall hanging with a cross or doves...if it is going to be the general public I would so houses/trees. If it is going to be medical based I would definitely go with a tree of life type thing (like the gal above brought up). After that I would base the size on the complication of what I was doing (for ME, if it were a cross, I would be able to whip it out in a day-it is already designed in my brain...if it was going to be a house/tree scene, well, that would take more thought and pencils and paper...LOL). Let us know what you are thinking. I am sure it will be fantastic!I have also seen a "personalized" quilt auction where the pattern was done up (maybe a Jelly Roll Race quilt) and the person got to pick their color scheme and the winner was promised the item within 90 days. The last one I attended had a Jelly Roll Race quilt and a simple (lap sized) 9 patch. Both did well. God luck. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - It is going to the general public at a Colon Cancer Awareness event. I think the tree of life idea is a good one. I've done a couple so I do have a pattern I created for that and could do a little modification.

      What is a Jelly Roll Race? That is also a good idea to have them pick a color scheme and create it afterwards. Maybe I could have to entries for the raffle that way?

      Thanks for the ideas!

      Delete
  3. From what I have seen of your quilts, I think the are all just beautiful! I don't know enough about quilts to offer up too much help here. But I think if you stick to like a green color, that could have a wide appeal. I like those little "windmill" kind of designs you have on your quilts. Maybe you could do something like that in shades of green and blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Those windmill (pinwheels) are one of the easier patterns I can do. I'm thinking I may use them for the border - great idea.

      Hope all is going well for you!

      Delete
  4. How about a simple hour glass quilt in some fun summer colors? Plan for the blocks to be larger (maybe starting with 6" or 10" (layer cake size)cuts, with a nice neutral fabric, and there ya go! I've done this block for baby quilts (using Lily and Wil charm packs), and homespun plaids with 'tea dyed' color solid. I knew there's a few tutorials around for this block and how to figure how many for size... have fun with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ann - I've never made an hour glass :-( I'm going to go do some research now. I love Lily and Will! Actually made a quilt for my new nephew with that fabric.

      Thank you so much for your comment/ideas.

      Delete
  5. Darlene, I'm so sorry so many people close to you have experienced loss and hardship this past month. I would say keep it simple - pinwheels or nine-patches -- and fill it with color! I love the sweet little heart quilt (Berkeley's?) in your header! Is that your own design, or did you have a pattern. Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise - thank you and hugs right back.

      Berkeley's quilt - that was an adventure. I thought it was going to be something easy peasy to put together. The heart is actually supposed to be a pillow and the pattern is from Don't Look Now (http://dontlooknow.typepad.com/dont_look_now/) She creates some amazing designs. Anyway, I decided to use it as the center for the quilt and then used Minky on the back. It turned out so much better than I expected and my daughter (Berkeley's mom) loves it.

      Delete