Sunday, January 16, 2011

Why...

did you start quilting. Was it a project, a person or something else?

I've been working on my Postage Stamp Quilt Along this weekend and this has given me a lot of time to think.

My start was a gift. It was Mother's Day 2004 and I wanted to create something special for my mom. We had been working on our family history for years (taking trips to England where she was from) and doing a lot of online research. In the process I collected many pictures. We scrapbooked, but I wanted something different. I googled online and saw many versions of memory quilts - then saw the prices! Yikes - I can make that I thought to myself. So I searched for patterns. I didn't just want anything, it had to be special. Ooooh, the Star with the picture inside. Piece of cake. I'll just cut out the pieces and take them with me on the train and sew them all together on my commute back and forth to work (2 1/2 hours a day). Well, piece of cake it wasn't, but my mom was so happy when she opened it.

In Dec2008, she went home to our Lord. I still miss her everyday.

Last year, I decided to join a quilt guild and start making quilts again. I remember how happy that little quilt made my mom. So, in 2010 I started 11 quilts and finished 6. I love the look on the person's face when they receive it. And now I'm starting another one - should I be working on one of those 5 I hadn't finished :-)


Blessings and love,
Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment