Sunday, May 8, 2011

I've waited 16 years...

I've always wanted a cottage garden... always envisioned a kind of "Secret Garden" in my backyard. Couple of challenges - the hill and the moles and voles that have enjoyed my plants. Every year I'd try something different only to have the little critters come back. Even had little baby bunnies munching on the flowers last year.

I put in the pond 10 years ago - my mom gave me the main form for my birthday and I decided to do a waterfall coming down from the hill.

The past couple of days, I have had a landscaper here and he put in a retaining wall that incorporates the pond...



This is a partial view from the left... see all the flowers there on the right side of the picture. Those are leftovers from what I already had in the ground. Did not look like that many when there were planted.

This is a partial view from the right... I love the birdhouse here. My mom and I bought identical ones and it brings such happy memories when I see it.

And this is the before shot from the right...


And a before shot from the left. I really appreciate the after pictures when I see these.

So now we are waiting to do the hill to the right of the pond. I have some bluebirds nesting in the other birdhouse (not shown) so I don't want to disrupt them. Also going to add a flagstone patio next to the greenhouse.

It has been exciting to see this dream come to fruition. I've loved working back there this weekend and watching all the birds. It is such a blessing to be able to have the time in my yard to reflect, relax and enjoy God's beautiful creations.

1 comment:

  1. Your new garden is beautiful...isn't it wonderful to sit outside and enjoy? My yard and flower beds are a work in progress. We are fighting voles as well....grrr!

    ReplyDelete